Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cool Air and Mirrors

I came across the following poem this summer. It seems the weather has begun to take a turn towards fall as of late. I've been waking up to cool crisp air as I walk out my front door, and to the shimmering dew covered ground as if it were a million mirrors shining in all directions. Whenever I started thinking about the season change I could not help but remember this poem....

End of Summer (by Stanley Kunitz)

An agitation of the air,
A perturbation of the light
Admonished me the unloved year
Would Turn on its hinge that night

I stood in the disenchanted field
Amid the stubble and the stones,
Amazed, while a small worm lisped me
The song of my marrow-bones

Blue poured into summer blue,
A hawk broke from his cloudless tower,
The roof of the silo blazed, and I knew
That part of my life was over

Already the iron door of the north
Clangs open: birds, leaves, snows
Order their populations forth,
And a cruel wind blows.

No comments: